The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to support development in member countries in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and forestry. FAO’s mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy
The Fellows Programme is designed to attract fellows, typically PhD students, researchers and professors, who have an advanced level of relevant technical knowledge and experience in any field of the Organization. They are willing to fulfil their specialized learning objectives and at the same time, contribute their technical expertise and knowledge through time-bound arrangements with FAO. Assignments should be in line with FAO Strategic Objectives and UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The fellow will report to an assigned supervisor.
The fellow will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
Tasks and responsibilities
The fellow will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR), prepared by the hiring office before the beginning of the assignment and agreed by the fellow.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
- Graduate or post-graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) or be enrolled in a PhD programme in a bona fide (i.e. listed in IAU/UNESCO database) educational institution at the time of the application.
- Candidates must specialize in a field relevant to the mission and work of FAO.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset.
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
- Age: no age limits.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Fellows Programme.
- Candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the country of assignment.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
Information to applicants
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented member nations as well as candidates from Small Island Developing States (SIDS), Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
- All applications will be reviewed and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
- FAO does not provide remuneration to fellows. Fellows should be fully sponsored by a sending/external entity. The name of the sponsoring institution should be mentioned in online application.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
Method of Application
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- You are requested to attach a research proposal, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of your academic qualifications to the online profile.
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application.
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile.
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
Application Deadline: August 8th 2021
For More Information: