The Forward Underwriting Manager manages three supervisors, Wholesale Supervisor, Retail Supervisor, and Outsourcing Supervisor. These three roles directly supervise the teams of underwriters who underwrite forward mortgage loans in accordance with established policies and procedures and appropriate guidelines. This role is responsible for the overall management of the Forward Underwriting function, driving continuous improvement in results and associated processes, and coaching and developing staff. This role reports to the VP of Lending Operations and can be located remotely from anywhere in the U.S.
- • Monitor the forward loan pipeline and implement smooth processes for the assignment of loans to ensure prompt underwriting decisions, handling of i sues, and escalations as needed.
• Assist in prioritizing rushes, conditions and newly submitted loans to meet required turn times.
• Provide advice and support when a final decision i s difficult, marginal and/or assistance i s needed on appraisal issues.
• Oversee the manual underwriting or the validation of automated findings on Conventional and government loans.
• Upon rejection of a loan, work with Supervisors and/or Team Leads to ensure that all appropriate options have been explored.
• Coordinate resolution of Post Closing issues.
• Develop and communicate Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to drive for continuous improvement.
• Participate in regular meetings with the Sales team to represent the Underwriting function, solicit feedback on performance including issues and concerns, and respond appropriately with plans and actions to address concerns.
• Communicate company goals and objectives to the Forward Underwriting team so that team members can translate these into individual goals and priorities.
• Communicate team needs, successes, and opportunities for improvement to the VP Lending Operations in regular connects.
• Ensure that Underwriters are continuously improving their knowledge, skills and proficiencies including:
• Current guidelines on products including various investor requirements
• Knowledge of new programs
• Insights gained from Post Closing or audit findings
• Loan Origination System
• Work with Human Resources to plan and manage to appropriate staffing levels given actual and anticipated demand, attract and hire new staff, coach and develop others, ensure pay, bonus, and recognition programs are effective to attract and retain staff, ensure proper recording of overtime and l eaves within the department, and address performance issues as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
• 5 – 8 years of Underwriting experience in the mortgage industry
• 3 – 5 years of leadership experience
• Experience working with licensed loan officers
• FHA Direct Endorsement/VA LAPP
QUESTIONS FROM THE EMPLOYER
You will need to answer the following questions when you apply to this job.
• Does the candidate have a DE or LAPP/SARS designation?
• Full Name
• What is your city/state of residence?
• Contact Email
• Best Contact Phone
• What is your availability to start?
• What is your candidate’s salary expectations?